Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VM: Killing Process -

Posted by Mudeem 
VM: Killing Process -
May 20, 2008 03:36PM
Hi all,

I have linux 2.4.25 on a mips processor. Other than my application, the other processes that are running on the system are udhcpd, dhcpd, mini_dns etc. The applicaiton is quite memory intensive, it has allocated 5 MB of a buffer which acts as a queue and the applicaiton queues and de-queues packets in the queue at quite frequents. The memory for this buffer is allocated just once when the application starts at the time of boot. SO I would assume that there would be quite a lot of paging going on.

The issue is that randomly the application gets killed, there is no segmnetation fault or anything and if I look at /var/log/messages I see quite a lot of
__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed

and then

VM: killing process

I have read that the application can be killed if the kernel is not able to service the paging request or oom-killer can also kill the process. How can I confirm that one of these is happening? I want to identify the root cause of the application crash before experimenting like increasing the swap spaceor even disabling the oom-killer (i don't know if that would be a good idea though). Any suggestions

Thanks
Mudeem
Re: VM: Killing Process -
June 21, 2008 09:36PM
was there any message in the message buffer? (i.e. dmesg). Usually you'd see something like
oom-killer gfp-mask ....

You can make your process oom exempt by
echo -17 > /proc/pid/oom_adj
Author:

Your Email:

Subject: