Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kernel panic despite enabling math-emulation

Posted by dar_beh_dar 
kernel panic despite enabling math-emulation
May 31, 2009 01:43AM
I am trying to build a pared down v2.6.* kernel to run on a single chip 386 processor.
As I understand it, the math emulation library must be enabled ( compiled into the kernel )
to cater for the absence of a proper HW FPU.

I am doing the builds on a more modern x86 desktop machine running Fedora 8
( based on 2.6.23.1 kernel ) using the source from Fedora 8 ( i.e. with the F8 patches
applied against a 2.6.23.1 kernel )

As a first step, after building the kernel with 'CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y' I tried to test
this feature on my build machine ( which does have an FPU ), by supplying the 'no387'
boot parameter in order to simulate a non-existing FPU.

Runing the math-emu enabled kernel in this way causes a kernel panic which happens before
spawning 'init' and early-user space initialization.

I have observed this condition with several 2.6.* kernel versions and several Intel/AMD boxes.

Using the 'earlyprintk=vga' bootparameter and some printk statements sprinkled in the
appropriate corners of the code ( i.e. '__init' function 'no387()' in bug.c ) I was able to
observe that in all three cases the 'no387()' code snippet executes its stuff without hickups
when the 'no388' boot parameter is processed

37 static int __init no_387(char *s)
38 {
39 boot_cpu_data.hard_math = 0;
40 write_cr0(0xE | read_cr0());
41 return 1;
42 }
44 __setup("no387", no_387);

The kernel freeze happens as a result of a panic in 'fpu_entry.c' ( here I have reproduced code
and line no.s from the file as it exists in v2.6.23.1 under 'arch/i386/math-emu' )

179 else if ( FPU_CS == __KERNEL_CS )
180 {
181 printk("math_emulate: %04x:%08lx\n",FPU_CS,FPU_EIP);
182 panic("Math emulation needed in kernel"winking smiley;
183 }
184 else

In all cases the following lines are the last outputs to the console:

math_emulate: <some FPU_CS value>:<some FPU_EIP value>
Kernel panic-not syncing: Math emulation neded in kernel

So it appears that even with math emulation enabled the logic of the code in 'fpu_entry.c' takes
the kernel into the above 'else', i.e. the kernel thinks that there is no 'math emulation'.

Searching the web I was able to find references to this problem in several threads but no apparent
solution to it.

Math-emulation albeit not a widley used feature, should have been around long enough for someone to
have stumbled upon such an obvious problem.

Q1) Am I overlooking anything?

or

Q2) Is this a problem in the code?

and finally

Q3) Any suggestions for how I could get a 2.6 kernel to actually run with the math-emu?

Regards

Reza Mostafid

==========================================================================================================

Here is a reproduction of the steps I took:

i) I downloaded the source rpms for the Fedora distro I am running ( Fedora Core 8 which runs
a modified version of the 2.6.23.1 kernel ).

ii) I compiled the Fedora kernel version thus obtained ( using the supplied distro .config ) and
it boots fine

iii) I then change a single parameter of the original configuration, i.e. enable math-emulation and
I observed the problem ( kernel panics with the 'no387' param supplied )

iv) I then reproduced the same problem booting a 'kernel.org' vanilla 2.6.23.1 kernel with the same
configuration and observed the same problem.

v) Finally several different versions of the 'kernel.org' vanilla source were compiled with the same
configuration ( the FC8 distro '.config' with just the 'math-emu' enabled ) on three different PCs.
Each time the same problem: Each math-emu enabled kernel boots fine, until you supply the 'no387'
option, in which case all of them hang at the same place.

Configuration used as base: That of the Fedora 8 distro

Parameter changed: CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y

Kernels tested:

2.6.23.1 source rpm for Fedora 8
2.6.23.1 'vanilla' from 'kernel.org'
2.6.11.12 'vanilla' from 'kernel.org'
2.6.12.6 'vanilla' from 'kernel.org'
2.6.28.8 'vanilla' from 'kernel.org'

CPUs/machines problem was observed on:

Intel Celeron 331 ( Netburst type P4 )
AMD Semperon
AMD Athlon
I think mathematical calculations are needed in every study, but we should not forget about the written confirmation of these studies, I can help in solving these issues, I am good at writing essays, you will find examples of my work at papersowl.com , I will be happy to help everyone.
That is one of the best calculation to learn the different configuration systems language on an everyday basis. Although it’s not necessary to study each, it’s important that you take out at least required knowledge and information with dissertation writing assistance experts.
Do you wanna know how to write a perfect essay? check this tips!
Assignment help
January 25, 2019 04:06AM
Our assignment experts works hard to live up to the expectations and provide total peace of mind. Our assignment help online assistance has minimum turnaround time. If you are running out of time to turn in your assignment, click and hire the expert.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 21?