Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The "init_module: Device or resource busy" message in 2.4.26 kernel

Posted by tommyclee 
The "init_module: Device or resource busy" message in 2.4.26 kernel
December 08, 2008 02:25PM
Hi all,

About a week ago I completed the 2.4.36.7-to-2.4.26 back-porting work of the skge and sky2 drivers.

This week I encountered an issue of manual-loading them in my 2.4.26/x86 system. This system has four 88E8001 chips and four 88E8053 chips for the skge and sky2 drivers to handle respectively. The scenario is that I have to load the drivers twice in order to use them normally.

For example, the "insmod ./skge.o" command log shows that, in the first (initial) time loading, the PCI code displays the "PCI: Sharing IRQ..." messages of the IRQs 11, 12, 5, and 10. Right after pci_init_module() returns rc = 4, which is correct, the kernel code displays the "init_module: Device or resource busy" message. At the end the skge driver is not loaded.

The second time succeeded in the loading of the skge driver with no display of the Sharing IRQ..." messages. The pci_init_module() returns rc = 0. I see this return value reasonable. After that, when I enable the eth0, the lsmod command shows 1 as the skge driver's use count. This interface is able to transport traffics normally.

I compared the skge driver log against that of the old sk98lin driver in the same system. I discovered the display of the Sharing IRQ..." messages happen in the sh98lin driver loading as well in my system. This comparison indicates that the IRQ and IO sharing is not the cause of the ""init_module: Device or resource busy" issue.

I am finding out the reason why the kernel raises this issue in order to solve it. I will definitely be grateful for your comment on this issue. If you need the details of it, I will be happy to provide.

Tommy
Re: The "init_module: Device or resource busy" message in 2.4.26 kernel
December 10, 2008 01:49AM
Hi all,

Referring to the skge driver code in the 2.6.21.7 kernel, which I worked on the same driver about a month ago, I replaced the 2.4.26 request_irq() SA_SHIRQ|SA_SAMPLE_RANDOM flag with the IRQF_SHARED (0x00000080) one, which is not defined in the 2.4.26 kernel. This time, though the "init_module: Device or resource busy" message is still displayed by the 2.4.26 kernel, the IRQF_SHARED flag at least links the devices to their IRQs correctly as shows by the "cat /proc/interrupts" command:

bash-2.05b# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 18488 XT-PIC timer
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 713 XT-PIC serial
5: 0 XT-PIC eth2
8: 3 XT-PIC rtc
10: 0 XT-PIC eth3
11: 0 XT-PIC eth0
12: 0 XT-PIC eth1
14: 13447 XT-PIC ide0
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

My next step is to make the similar change in the sky2 driver to try to make the 11, 12, 5, 10 IRQs correctly shared around, after loading the two drivers. If I can accomplish this step, my problem space will be narrowed down the 2.4.26 kernel displaying the "init_module..." message.

Comment please

Tommy
spider game
November 16, 2018 07:03AM
If you wants to play any online game so i suggest you guys to play spider solitaire game .This is very amazing and popular game. This is all about the cards arranging game on the basis of game rules.
Re: spider game
November 21, 2018 03:22AM
The pci_init_module() returns rc = 0. I see this return value reasonable. After that, when I enable the eth0, the lsmod command shows 1 as the skge driver's use count. .. clicker heroes full game.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 16?