Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Network Device Driver crashing the system

Posted by nate89 
Network Device Driver crashing the system
April 03, 2015 12:11PM
Hi all,

I'm developing a network driver for a custom usb network device. I've used pegaus.c and rt8150.c as models for my driver. This is intended to be a purely IP interface (i.e. no ethernet headers). At present, the driver compiles and loads when the device is attached. I can UP and DOWN the device using ifconfig; however, when I attempt to assign an IP address the whole system freezes. I'm a bit confused as to why. My understanding is that ioctl SIOCSIFADDR is called when you attempt to assign an address, but the driver is not involved in the process. Clearly, I'm not doing something right. What are the responsibilities of my driver with respect to IP address? Any thoughts on why it's crashing?
Re: Network Device Driver crashing the system
April 08, 2016 05:15AM
A device driver is a component that Windows uses to provide I/O services for and interact with an underlying device, such as a modem or network adapter. Rather than access the device directly, Windows loads device drivers and calls functions in the drivers to carry out actions on the device.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 21?