Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Git doesn't work

Posted by HHBones 
Git doesn't work
October 04, 2010 06:24PM
I downloaded and unpacked a recent (stable) build of the Linux kernel from kernel.org. It's now in my home directory. The problem is, when I navigate to the Linux kernel directory in the Terminal and type in:

git status

the output is as follows:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Which is bad because I can't patch anything.
Re: Git doesn't work
September 25, 2011 07:50AM
You need to get the kernel as a git repository, not a tarball, if you want to use git.

To do that, you "git clone git://url-to-kernel.org/path/to/tree", which will create a directory with all the .git revision history. Once you have that, you can really start using git on the kernel.
September 25, 2011 10:28AM
Unfortunately kernel.org is down for few weeks! :-(
September 25, 2011 12:52PM
You can get the kernel git tree from github.com
Git doesn't work
February 12, 2013 02:15AM
This doesn't work for Windows systems as git-credential-cache communicates through a Unix socket.
December 06, 2013 07:23AM
I ve a problem too. my internet connection is so very slow. when i try to download using "git clone . . ." it take forever to download. so i downloaded latest tar file form kernel.org. Is there any way to get started wit git without downloading form repository.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 22?