Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Patching the kernel

Posted by Joe Ritz 
Patching the kernel
July 30, 2014 08:31AM
Hello all,

I have never patched a kernel before and I now have the need to. I have done some reading on how this is done, but I am confused and I hope someone can help me out. I am currently running 2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64 in Centos 6. I need to get to 3.14.14. I understand that there is a patch program that I can feed a diff file to. My questions are as follows:

1. I am confused on how to generate the diff file. I know that you use the diff program, but what am I diffing? My guess would be my current kernel files against what is patched or updated in the newest version?

2. Also, it seems that I have to jump a lot of versions to get to 3.14.14. Do I need to perform an update to each version in between those two or can I jump straight to 3.14?

3. My last question is why isn't there a simple "yum update kernel" or something like that where this could be handeled?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 9?