Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TCP stack on SMP systems

Posted by shedder 
TCP stack on SMP systems
December 03, 2007 07:31AM
I've a single threaded application that is reading and writing data using sockets over multiple physical network connections. The biggest processor overhead comes from the TCP stack, and I'd like to ensure that I most effectively use all of the processor power available to me on a multi-processor system. Since the application is single threaded, will this mean the TCP stack for all the connections will all run on the same processor, or will the kernel use the all of the processors available? Would it be better to make the application multi-threaded, with a separate thread per physical (or logical) connection?
Re: TCP stack on SMP systems
December 15, 2007 09:26AM
Hi!

Take a look at [www.linux-foundation.org]

This page has not been updated for a long time. Maybe things have changed. But I don't think optimising your application in your way makes much sense. The CPU usage TCP/IP stack is rarely a bottleneck, except for extremely fast LAN connections - and in this case you will need *lots* of hard disks to transfer the data. The bottleneck is more often the bandwidth or TCP congestion window.

---
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see [michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login